Pure Homemade Hummus
Healthy hummus recipe!
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or 1 1/2 cups (250 grams) cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tahini
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- water 2-3 tbsp
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more.
- This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making the hummus smooth.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Add 1/2 of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth; 1 to 2 minutes.
- Most likely the hummus will be too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea. To fix this, with the food processor turned on, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until you reach the perfect consistency.
Funny facts about hummus and you made a good choice 🙂 http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/12-surprising-health-benefits-hummus-that-make-even-more-irreplaceable.html